I had a pattern for an alphabet baby shawl that had been knitted all in one, by that I mean casting all the stitches for the full width and then working up the shawl. For the time limits and for ease I wanted to knit all the squares separately and then sew them together.
That meant re-designing the outside of the squares to how the original pattern had been designed.
I designed a lacy border with the use of garter stitch and stocking stitch that would look nice and still look nice when they were sewn together.
I took photographs of all the alphabet squares, this was before I pressed the shawl though.
I used the original diamond in the centre of the four corner squares with the same border for the square as the alphabet squares.
I had designed a lacy border before for a baby’s cot blanket, I wanted a deeper border, I played around with the previous border till I was happy with the depth and used the same garter stitch edge to match the alphabet squares borders.
I pressed the shawl using a steam iron and plain tea towel.